Brighton and Hove, All Souls, Eastern Road
A chapel was built in 1833-34 in the poor area behind Kemp Town and was unusual in the amount of free seating available. Of the exterior, only the classical main front, with pilasters and heavy pedimented doors, was visible. Inside, the open nave with galleries apparently always had gothic detail. The architect was H Mew (ICBS).
After the re-organisation of Brighton parishes it was remodelled by E E Scott and R S Hyde in 1879 (Dale p80) with a new chancel and roof, though keeping the galleries. They added a heavy, low Italianate tower at one end of the front. The church was closed and pulled down in 1968. There was extensive glass by C E Kempe, now in St Andrew, Worthing, West Sussex, and an east window by Clayton and Bell (CDK 1880 pt 2 p116).