Hastings, St Andrew, Queen’s Road
M E Habershon and E P L Brock (BN 59 p700) built a substantial stone church in 1869-70, with a three-sided apse and a tower at the west end of the aisle. The aisle walls were low and the tower had a disproportionately thin upper stage under a tall stone pyramid. In 1902 painted decoration was placed in the chancel, the work of R Tressell, best known as the author of The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist (Cornerstone [SPAB] 26 no 4 p67). A portion remains in the Hastings Museum and Art Gallery. The church was pulled down in 1970 (Elleray p63).