Brighton and Hove – Holy Nativity, Bevendean
This was perhaps the last church to be built on one of the newly developed estates on the Downs. A church in a converted barn opened in 1953 and a permanent one, designed by R Melhuish followed in 1963.
This is a low building, with an inverted pitched roof, and is mostly built of buff brick, with some flintwork on the main entrance front and a projecting porch. The side windows are long and narrow and there is no tower. It ceased to be used as a church in 2007 and is now used for community purposes. Presumably in connection with this in 2012 there were plans for a large extension to the north by R Chandler (BE(E) p262).
Fitting (when in use as a church):
Crucifix: J Skelton (BE(E) ibid)
Photo by the Voice of Hassocks 2009