Brighton and Hove – St Richard, Hollingdean
The largely post-war housing estate of Hollingdean was initially part of the parish of St Matthias, but a separate church was opened in 1954 within the parish. It is a low brick building and was also used as a hall. It has small, square side-windows and the east end, which faces the road, is blank except for some rudimentary patterning in the brickwork and a large cross. The architects were Clayton, Black and Daviel (www.mybrightonand hove.org.uk).
The church was closed for worship in October 2013.
Photo: The Voice of Hassocks