Iping Marsh – Good Shepherd

The chapel, a small, low brick building with minimal polychrome decoration and largely domestic-style windows, was opened in 1878 in an area of the parish of Iping that was only enclosed in the late C18 (VCH 4 p63).  Notwithstanding its modest appearance (the successful tender for its construction was only £523 (BN 34 (24 May 1878) p x)), the architect was E P L Brock (BN 59 p700), who was later to rebuild Iping parish church.  The chapel was never more than marginal and after closure in 1977 and consequent vandalism, it was declared redundant in 1980 and soon afterwards demolished, though the adjacent burial ground remains.

Photograph 1978