Warninglid – St Andrew
A chapel at Warninglid was planned in the large parish of Slaugham as early as 1839 (ICBS), but only in 1935 was one built at a cost of £2265 to the designs of F G Troup (CDG 18 p341). As the cost implies, it is a simple brick structure on a cruciform plan with short transepts. The steep gabled end walls have grouped tall and narrow round-headed windows and there is no belfry. Though not in the most advanced style of the 1930s, there is no attempt at historicism and the general effect is pleasing, particularly the unexpectedly spacious interior. There the steep roofs are ceiled and plain except for incised horizontal grooves. A narrow west gallery has a wooden balustrade.
The church ceased to be used as such in 2006 and by April 2009 was on sale for conversion into a house. When this was carried out, a primarily residential block was added at the western end, whilst the church itself remains as a single space and retains the fine stained glass (see below).
Glass: (East windows and one north window) J Powell and Sons, designed by J H Hogan, 1939 (JSMGP 6 (1939-42) p118). Large figures against patterned backgrounds. The contrast between the intense colours and the simple architecture is effective.